Wednesday 23 October 2013

Swish, Swish - New Clothes for Old

Last Friday night me and my lovely friend M went to out very first ever swishing event (which is also another thing ticked off my '32 Before 32' list').

Swishing

 
Swishing is essentially clothes swapping but with bunting and sometimes a few nibbles. We headed over to The Organ Inn in Warminster where the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust was hosting the event with help from Jen over at My Make Do and Mend Year. Entry was simply a donation plus at least one item of clothing. Me and M took 10 items each (and I don't know about M, but I could have taken about another 10 bags as well!) and we both managed to collect a fair few items between us to take home as well.

Swishing

 
It was a really good night; a bit strange a first as we weren't sure if there was any sort of etiquette or organised method but after putting our clothes out for display, it was pretty obvious that you just had to get stuck in and have a good old rummage!
 
Swishing
 
Swishing
 
 
There ended up being lots and lots of clothes to look through with new items arriving all the time as people turned up for the event. Looking around, the table with the most items on was the trouser table - clearly proving the point that trousers are the most difficult thing to buy and get right.
Obviously lots of people had made mistakes!
 
Swishing

 
It was good fun pulling out different things to look at, and one more than one occassion I found something I though M would like and she found things she knew I'd like.
There was a makeshift changing area at the back of the room (which was a bit surreal getting your bits out whilst surrounded by strange women) but being involved with performing on Carnival floats I've got changed in public car parks numerous times so I was pretty used to it :-)
 
Swishing
 
 
I picked up two tops, two cardigans, a swimsuit, two dresses, a skirt, a bag and a necklace. I'll do another post at the weekend to show you what I took home - at the moment we're driving both to and from work almost in the dark so I'll wait til the weekend when we actually get some daylight to take photos!

 
Have you ever been to a swishing event?
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this event but it sounds really interesting! Glad you managed to grab a couple of things :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, if you ever hear of a swishing event near you, it's well worth a visit! :-) x

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you made it and found some things :) Sorry I wasn't there, will be there next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, I'll definitely be along to the next one so we can meet each other then! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...