Friday 6 December 2013

Blogger Book Swap

A couple of months ago, the lovely Rosie from A Rosie Outlook decided to organise a Bloggers Book Swap - the premise being that everyone has books they've really enjoyed but don't always have anyone to recommend them to or pass them on to.

You had to submit your name and what genres you liked or didn't like (if any) and then Rosie would allocate you with a book swap partner. It was a straight swap rather than a secret one - I was paired with Laura from Me, Michael and M.E. and as soon as I got the email telling me who I was buying for, I started thinking about what to choose and what to get.

I love the idea of a book swap; when I worked in our local library, I spent many a time recommending things to people and talking about different authors so this was right up my street (and coincidentially that's actually where I bought my books from - Street in Somerset!).

For Laura, I chose The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Bloggers Book Swap
(apologies for the crappy phone photos)
 
 
The Ship of Brides I bought first - I quite like reading stories set in the early to mid twentieth century and this one is set in 1946 telling the story of wartime brides from Australia. Young girls who'd married their American GI boyfriends during the Second World War were then shipped across the world to spend the rest of their lives with their new husband - sometimes all went well and sometimes it didn't. I love the fact that the story is based on what happened in real life - there were thousands of brides who travelled to foreign lands just after the Second World War in pursuit of happiness.

The second book I bought was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, although I sort of cheated with this one as I actually had it out from the library and was reading it at the time. I was about halfway through when I sent off my book package so I posted a copy off with the recommendation that I was really enjoying it so far (I've finished it now and yep, it is fab!). It was only when I was wrapping it up that it suddenly dawned on me that this book was also set in 1946!
 
I included a few little chocolately treats as well, wrapped it all up and sent it on it's merry way to Laura.
 
Books and Chocolates
 
 
 
I actually sort of received my package from Laura before I'd even posted her package out; I had a 'Something for You' note from the postie saying it was waiting for me at the delivery office but working late and silly opening hours at the office meant I couldn't pick it up for a few days. Once I'd collected it through, I was in such a hurry to open it, I took a look in the car on the way back home!

Laura had chosen for me two books I haven't read before but look fab - Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen and The Charmer by Mandasue Heller.
 
Crime Books
 
I'm really looking forward to reading them; I have read some crime fiction before but not those authors - although Tess Gerritsen is one I kept meaning to read when I worked at the library.
I'm planning on enjoying them over the Christmas holidays (which seem to be creeping up on us far too fast) probably in between eating too many sweets and playing too many games!

Thanks Laura for my lovely books! And thanks Rosie for organising it!

 

10 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I wish I'd known - like the look of your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Beth! Hopefully Rosie will organise another one next year so more people can join in :-) x

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea for a swap, the Ship of Brides intrigues me from my own experience of moving countries and marrying an American. Going to have to keep my eyes out for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a read if you can get your hands on a copy! :-) x

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea! Just like Rachael above, The Ship of Brides intrigues me too! I've just added it to my goodreads actually so thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I loved The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm planning on reading my books over Christmas :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...