Tuesday 29 July 2014

Birthday Girl - 70 Years Young

Back in 2010 me, Andrew and my sister in law organised a surprise 70th birthday party for my father in law. We invited 350 people (of which about 150 came) and it took place at a fairground museum in Devon. It all went amazingly well, he had no idea at all and afterwards we all said 'we're never planning anything like that again'.
 
So fast forward 4 years and surprise surprise, we did it all over again spending the last 6 months lying, planning and concocting stories for the mother in law's 70th birthday. We held the party at a local social club, invited 300 people (of which 120 came) and had a display of four vintage Scammell lorries (one of them Andrew's), one Ford Prefect car, one steam engine, one miniature steam engine and an 1896 fairground organ.
 
 
So just a small do then!
 
Vintage vehicle display

70th birthday party

70th birthday party

Me playing the fairground organ

Steam engine

Playing skittles

Scammell lorry display

1896 fairground organ

Cake cutting

Family

Steam engines in a field

Father and mother in law
 
 
 
We were convinced she must have suspected something but apparently not, she just blindly believed every word we said.
 
We have said now though, they've both had a surprise party so there is absolutely no way, no way at all, they are never ever having one ever again!
 
 
Have you ever planned any surprise parties?
They're a great idea at the time but the final week is nail-bitingly awful!
 

6 comments:

  1. You look amazing! That dress is gorgeous - such a lovely photo!

    Looks as though a wonderful time was had by all! I would hate a surprise party, but luckily I think all my nearest and dearest know that, so I'm safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Jane! Luckily no-one has ever organised me a surprise party, I'm not sure how I'd feel, I *think* I'd like it but I'd have to get over the shock first! :-) xx

      Delete
  2. Swit-swoo - you look stunning in that dress!! I'm actually in the process of organising a surprise party at the moment - thankfully for only a handful of people, rather than enough to fill a stadium*!
    xxx
    *I assume. I know nothing about sport. Stadiums seat about 150, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep, it certainly felt like we were organising a stadium gig at some points! Hope you party all goes well! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress Louisa you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...