Monday 26 January 2015

This Weekend at the Duckpond

We have mostly been...


Celebrating – the world of silent comedy at the Silent Comedy Gala held as part of Bristol's Slapstick Festival. It was Andrew's Christmas present from me; Chris Addison was hosting the night and one of the films was going to be scored by Rick Wakeman (who we've seen play before and he's spectacular). They screened three films: Charlie Chaplin's 'The Immigrant' from 1917, Laurel and Hardy's 'Big Business' from 1929 and Buster Keaton's 'Seven Chances' from 1925. They were all pretty good but I particularly liked the Buster Keaton one, I've not seen many of his films but I'm definitely going to look them out now.
 
 
Munching - on a brilliant bagel from Bagel Boy in Bristol (try saying that fast – lots of B's!). I had one called a Naughty Boy – chicken, bacon, cheese coleslaw and BBQ sauce – which was, as always, delicious.


Baking – a Strawberry and Cinnamon Torte cake. I’m trying to empty out one of our freezers at the moment so we can defrost it and that means constantly shuffling frozen things from one freezer or drawer to another. One particular drawer seems to be three quarters full of strawberries, and although I like strawberries a lot, I also like a nice clean defrosted freezer even more. This recipe used up 450g of strawberries, or one and half boxes from the freezer.

Strawberry and Cinnamon Torte


Sorting – out yet more clothes, stuff and associated junk. We still seem to have a backlog of stuff that never got put away when I was in plaster (there wasn’t really a lot of stuff I could do whilst in plaster) and like everything else, the paperwork and general clutter seems to have reproduced over and over several times since.
 
 
Painting – the bedroom we were clearing out the other weekend. Andrew managed to do the skirting boards and ceiling on Saturday and then put the first coat of paint on the walls on Sunday. I think the grey we've chosen has ended up not quite as distinctive as we'd hoped but it still looks fairly nice (and to be fair, anything would look better than the peachy orange colour it was before).
 
Redecorating the bedroom
 
 
Realising – that if I want to manage one of my 33 Before 33 things (do one outfit post a month), I only have til Saturday left to make a start!



What did you get up to at the weekend?

8 comments:

  1. That strawberry torte looks incredible.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  2. A silent comedy night sounds really cool, great gift thinking! Also, that torte looks lush x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks delicious and I love the idea of the Silent Comedy night! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always manage to find the best recipes!! Love that colour too, all our walls are still a boring, off white that the sellers painted prior to the house going on sale. I can't wait to whack some colour up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, the end of January snuck up fast! (I realise snuck isn't an official word!). We had plans to go to our one new place per month last weekend, but had to change the plans and now e are trying to squeeze a new place into Saturday! All these pressures of goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That torte looks epic! Looking forward to seeing the paint transformation. I've just blogged about my weekend- I went to Exeter on an adventure xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That torte looks absolutely DELICIOUS! I'm totally craving cake already and looking at that isn't helping haha! How are you getting on with your painting? We're also painting our smallest bedroom after getting it replastered - such a pain as the new plaster just soaks the paint up! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That torte looks absolutely DELICIOUS! I'm totally craving cake already and looking at that isn't helping haha! How are you getting on with your painting? We're also painting our smallest bedroom after getting it replastered - such a pain as the new plaster just soaks the paint up! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...